Thursday, October 30, 2008

What I use and like

Might as well start the discussions with info on what I use and enjoy.

I proudly use a Microsoft Windows XP Home Addition SP 2, with Windows Internet Explorer 6 (don't use) and FireFox 3.0.3 (do use). I used to have a Windows 98 with Internet Explorer 4. Then it broke at the beginning of last year, and the beginning of this year I got my parents old computer, which I now use. They now have a Windows Vista Home Premium Sp1 with Internet Explorer 7 and FireFox 3.0.3.

We also have two Windows 98, one with Internet Explorer 4, another with 5, only one with FireFox I think. Also, we may have a Windows 3.1.1.

I currently am looking forward to Windows 7, the dumb official name for the next major release of Windows products. It is "like Vista, but better". I agree, so far.

What I don't understand is why people say that Microsoft is bad/horrible/terrible at building operating systems, no matter how hard Microsoft works to actually build something. Windows Vista, I will admit, wasn't the greatest operating systems. But at least try to encourage Microsoft. Make them feel that they aren't wasting their time.

It may seem quite funny how I love Windows operating systems, yet I don't find Internet Explorer all that great. First, I've researched and read about people that have had viruses, security threats, and worse happen because of Internet Explorer. Some even joke that the browser is a virus itself. I don't think too extreme though.

But when I want to visit five websites every morning, I have to click on the IE button five times and wait for each one to load; and this was before I had the XP! So yeah, a 98 loading up 5 IE windows... and then trying to load up each of the five sites and wait for each one to load... what fun.

Okay, so Internet Explorer finally took the tab feature that's been around for a very long time. Good for them. But IE 7 won't work on Windows 98... so what good would that do?

But when I found out that everyone loves FireFox because of it's customizable open-source system, I realized why people preferred FF over IE. I now am using the Internet Explorer's IE 7 theme on my FireFox. With amazing ad-ons that make my life easier.

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is, Windows 7 sounds promising, and FF rocks!

No comments: